Rooted School is where students will begin their journey to financial freedom. As we prepare for our NOLA launch in fall 2017, while pursuing our mission in other parts of the country, there’s plenty of space for you to grow alongside us and expand viable career pathways for students.
In your role, you will be a lead architect in developing and curating how we support and teach students Social Studies through the various digital platforms we’ll use.
As our Founding Social Studies Teacher, you will work in-step with our founder and Assistant School Leader to set a school-wide vision for Social Studies instruction, coach students and staff toward achieving that vision, and use a variety of data points to inform steps toward that vision. Above all, you will help us get students to compete for the same jobs as college grads.
- Demonstrates a passion for and commitment to Rooted’s mission and values
- Thrives in a startup environment (comfort with change and ambiguity, strong initiative)
- Strong organization and planning skills
- Experience in writing, codifying, and/or reviewing curriculum
- At least three years of experience teaching upper middle school and/or high school Social Studies in a low-income or high needs population with a track record of outstanding academic results
- Experience in school(s) which rely heavily on digital curriculum as a means to develop basic content knowledge and skills (would be great)
- Committed to researching and remaining abreast of best instructional practices that may advance our mission
- Committed to being an academic coach to at least (10) students
areas of responsibility include
- Create, Build + Maintain all Academic Systems for Social Studies: Leading all vision work during startup phase and beyond for Social Studies goals, curriculum development, and project management.
- Instruction + Student Support: Leading daily learning experiences that guide students toward learning Social Studies curriculum and their annual goals.
- Curriculum Development + Curation: Long-term planning and unit planning for supplemental course work for each subject in tandem with digital curriculum.
- Annual Goal Setting + Monitoring: With School Leader and Assistant School Leader, developing a plan of action for the year. Ensuring that all Rooted’s goals and academic decisions for Social Studies are grounded in student data and analysis.
- Culture Creation: Every team member is responsible for helping establish Rooted’s culture among students, partners, and the community-at-large.
Competitive hourly rate set for moonlighting/consulting phase from Feb.’17 to May ’17. Once full-time, competitive salary commensurate with experience, as well as comprehensive benefits package.
If you’re as excited about this as we are, email a cover letter, resume, and answers to the questions below to our founder/ceo at email@example.com
- Explain your greatest strength, with examples. Explain your greatest area of growth or weakness, with examples.
- What gives you the most energy? What drains you the most?
- Where would you like to be in your career 5 years from now?